Re: Where have you been lately?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:32:05 +0200

Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> I wondered when I wrote this mail if you were going to branch out and
> develop your own version of Squid. I guess only time will tell...

Probably not, but in a sense I already have. Several of the patches in
my snapshots are very old. My goal is almost always that it should make
it into the mainstream version, at least the stuff I put in my
snapshots.

During a initial development it may look like two Squid versions, but
over time my goal is that the two should converge into one.

To explain a bit of the development cycle I will be using:

On squid.sourceforge.net I have a playground for testing and nursing new
features not yet mature enought for the mainstream version. This is
where I will try out any major changes, and anyone else who are
interesting in hacking around in the code are welcome to host their
efforts here. Currently it is mostly Adrian Chadd who are active here
working on a more modular store model and integration(+imprevements) of
COSS.

Discussions on design will be held openly on squid-dev to try to get as
many as possible involved in what is going on.

When a major change is mature and proven, the plan is to openly discuss
on squid-dev if it should be merged into the mainstream version. Merging
will be done unless someone objects stronly to it.

In practice I have not yet got started on any serious Squid hacking,
mostly due to lack of time. I am starting to look for different ways to
finance the Squid work as my spare time is far from enought for what I
intend to do, and my current main customer is not prepared to dive into
any major developments at this time (might be in the future, but not
right now).

/Henrik