Re: PATCH: Cygwin: file mode support and ufs writecleanswap bugfix

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:51:08 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> Have you looked into cygwin? It is native code.

Erhm... yes you can write code which uses the native interfaces in
cygwin, but not that easily. The default build mode is UNIX emulation,
which does change quite many standard-C functions to behave in a more
UNIX:ish manner compared to pure native compilers.

There is an option to link with a smaller runtime library (mingw I think
it is called), however last time I looked there was no good set of
header files to use together with that library.

> Also the NT port does not use ./configure. So turning on/off authentication
> schemes/helpers/modio modules and the like has to be
> done by hand. (And just hope that there are no interrelated settings in
> the autoconf.h file)

True, unless you manage to get autoconf to use the MS compiler.. isn't
there a command line mode for it? if so it should be little more than
setting the variable CC when calling configure..

> Sure. The point I meant to make was that the unix based developers will
> not (nd I believe it is unreasonable to ask them to) take
> into consideration the peculiarities of the Win32 environment when coding.

Well, there is not that many pecularities. The major one being the
separation of files and sockets, but given the direction things are
takin this is not a major obstacle.

Then there is a differen process model which is relevant for how
helpers.

> 2.3 stable4. I can drop a diff to the list if folk are interested. I was
> considering starting a new branch on sourceforge and then syncing that
> up to HEAD. But I sat back and thought that bringing the bits and pieces
> into the cygwin branch is an easier bet.

I will import the NT port to sourceforge as soon as Serassio Guido has
posted the latest version of his sources..

/Henrik