Re: What to know detail about why Squid use single process.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:45:56 +0200

Joe Cooper wrote:

> The C10K Problem page operated by Dan Kegel has load of information on
> all major concurrency models in use today, including the still preferred
> state machine style model that is similar to what Squid uses:
>
> http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

Note: Dan Kegels page is also linked from devel.squid-cache.org, under
the section "Sites of interest to Squid developers"

> well as Squid even though it is a newer design. Though it is likely
> that part of the scalability problem with Oops is its reliance on the
> BerkelyDB (or GigaBase) for it's storage backend.

Could be intersting to compare the two when running as a non-caching
proxy with many concurrent connections (in the range of 4K or more)..
Squids disk cache isn't exacly known for it's speed either.

> Anyway, I suspect that if the current Squid developers were to start
> over from scratch today they would again choose a state machine model
> based around poll or /dev/poll and/or kqueues. It is still the fastest
> model available to us.

Yes, and sadly both sucks when talking about addressing the C10K
problem..

Regards
Henrik