Re: Squid-2.5.STABLE5 planned

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:41:38 +1100

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 01:45, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> The patch to fix the challenge and helper maintenance rips out the
> "deferred" support layer in the stateful helpers. It was too complex to
> look into what things went wrong there and with the use somewhat dubious
> in terms of stability I see no reason to keep this.

It was only ever needed for challenge reuse. I haven't looked at the
patch you've done yet - have you eliminated the challenge reuse option
too? (You need to). The reason for the deferring was to ensure that the
helper didn't change the challenge unexpectedly : the early helpers
didn't have enough protocol control to choose their own challenge. With
Samba3 thats fixed. However, the only reason for reuse was to avoid
saturating the old compatability mode interface to the PDC with
expensive calls, which invariable dropped the link to the helper. Thus -
get rid of reuse and it will be a lot simpler.

> Robert: If you want to keep the "deferrer" stateful helper support in
> Squid-3 then you may want to look into the interactions with NTLM helpers
> as there was very bad interactions between the two in Squid-2.5. If not
> lets rip it out in favor of implementing the overlapped requests
> management. Implementing overlapped requests for stateful helpers is
> significantly with the deferred layer ripped out.

            ^easier^ ?

Yes, rip it out. We can't quite eliminate stateful helpers completely,
until we can get a challenge from helper 1 and submit it to helper 2.
But we can certainly (with Samba3 & Guido's helper) have multiple
parallel challenges in use.

IMO the helper protocol should be revamped to reflect this - it can be
made simpler.

Rob