Re: squid3 future directory structure

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:38:29 -0700

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 14:47 +0100, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> fre 2008-02-22 klockan 11:29 -0700 skrev Alex Rousskov:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 19:23 +0100, Guido Serassio wrote:
> >
> > > Changing the case of files/dir will not be a problem if we will avoid
> > > upper/lower case collisions.
> >
> > This only applies to files in the same directory, right? AFAICT,
> > filenames from different directories may still collide and even have
> > identical case.
>
> Bad idea even then. The files is easily confused by humans. If someone
> says file.cc in a dicsussion do he mean src/File.cc or lib/File.cc?

> And a really really bad idea for include files unless in a specific
> include subdir (#include "subdir/file.h"). For example case-insensitive
> filesystems will fail if both include/ and src/ has a .h file of the
> same name differing only in case.
>
> Also not sure what happens if we (or libtool) build a common lib archive
> of objects with the same name from differnt directories, but I think
> that will fail as well.

The only real problem that bothers me personally is that __FILE__ does
not include the directory name and, hence, is less useful in assert
statements and such.

Humans can use module/Foo almost as well as current MODULEFoo and
libraries appear to work fine in my experience. Include statements must
use module/ directory, of course.

Cheers,

Alex.