Re: bzr unmerge

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 20:58:56 +0200

fre 2012-08-17 klockan 19:59 +0200 skrev Kinkie:

> Have you considered "bzr uncommit"?

uncommit do not cut it. uncommit simply moves the branch head to a given
revision discarding any later revisions, same as git reset --hard for
those familiar with git. It's ok to use on a private branch to clean up
mistakes, but MUST NOT, repeat MUST NOT be used after the revisions have
been pushed to a shared repository.

what I want is a unmerge operation that is a commit in itself much like
revert, preserving full history, but which requires attention to resolve
when propagated to other branches, enabling other branches to keep the
changes or revert them per user choice.

> But a process such as the follwoing should do the trick to uncommit a
> merge which has occurred at revision N:
>
> bzr uncommit -r N+1
> bzr shelve --all
> bzr uncommit
> bzr revert
> bzr unshelve --apply
> bzr commit

And you'll loose all history of the later commits, and screws up merging
to any other branches. Please DO NOT EVER do a trick like this on the
master Squid repository.

Regards
Henrik