Re: cachemgr.cgi & security???

From: Peter Olsson <pol@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:54:41 +0100

Hello and thanks for your answers!

My question was:

07:47 1996-10-28 +0100 Martin Ibert <mib@ppe.bb-data.de> wrote:
>You have gone completely crazy and this is impossible. At least not as
>long as you put access control on the cache_object protocol.
>
>As far as I understand things, things are meant to work as follows:
>
>- Within squid, restrict access to the cache_object protocol to a host
> which you control.
>- Within that host's HTTP server, restrict access to your cachemgr.cgi
> program as needed.
>
>Then only you can get at the data, because only you can run the
>cachemgr.cgi program on the trusted host, and squid won't honor requests
>coming from other hosts.

I don't understand these answers. When I read the cachemgr.cgi-part of the
FAQ, I thought it said that in squid.conf I allow the squid-server to be
queried by cachemgr.cgi. Not just my cachemgr.cgi but ANY cachemgr.cgi.

Where did I get it wrong?

Thanks for your time!
Peter Olsson Email: pol@leissner.se
Leissner Data AB, Sweden Phone: +46 520 200 00
                               Fax: +46 520 200 89