FAQ? authenticated ftp.

From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 00:21:46 -0500 (EST)

I am wondering if the squid developers plan to support authenticated
ftp gets? In particular, I have users that need to access ftp sites
with a userid/password via Netscape. Using a Netscape proxy server
this works, but it doesn't with squid. Looking at the code, there doesn't
appear to be support for the Netscape authentication. Currently I am
using a proxy autoconfiguration script to "weed out" ftp URLs with
'@' in them, (like: ftp://userid@www.domain) and sending those requests
to a different proxy. This works, but I would prefer to use Squid for
all proxy/cache access. If this isn't a planned feature, does anyone
know of a free proxy that does support it? I could run it along with
Squid, if necessary.

-Andrew

PS. Thanks to the authors/maintainers of Squid! I sure would hate to
     pay $5,000 for cacheD.. :)