Re: "Broken Pipe" when site is up??? 1.1.17-NOVM, solaris 2.5.1

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:48:12 +0200

Hi

> I've just found the RETRY_CONNECT option in comm.c and squid is now
> running with that enabled. It seems to fix the problem, but why are
> connects to sites failing?
The RFC says that if you have multiple servers serving a given site
(like the 20 or so servers that serve www.microsoft.com) any given server
can refuse the connection and the client must go on to the other
servers.

Problem is, however, that squid doesn't do this properly (there are
patches, but I don't know how stable the RETRY_CONNECT is). If one
of the IP's is down, the site is down.

This is fixed proper with squid-1.2 and various patches are available
for 1.1

Oskar

--
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -