Re: Managing large http_access lists: alternative methods

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:59:02 +1000

Scott Lystig Fritchie wrote:
> With a very few modifications to my Sendmail config file, I could use
> the same squidok.mr.net quasi-in-addr.arpa zone both for Squid access
> control and Sendmail SMTP relay control. Since maintaining separate
> copies of the flat ASCII file (and its DBM index files) on multiple
> SMTP servers is a pain, distributing that info via DNS is appealing.
>
> Gadz, this idea might actually be useful in its perversity. :-)

I have - more than once - been revered and admired for 'useful and
perverse' ideas. You'll find a few lurking inside telephone exchanges,
telemetry units, and the occasional operating system.

I must admit, that watching 'that' look of shock, horror, and
indignation at the screwiness of the idea turn into a sort of grudging
admiration for the simplicity and/or elegance of it's actual
function/implementation is worth the price of admission for me.

As a co-worker (with similar trains of thought) once said to me: "I've
made some scummy and Evil(tm) patches to the drivers, Dancer. You'll
just _love_ this..."