Re: Micro$oft Authentication

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:30:50 -0400 (EDT)

> I was planning using several squids with sibllings and parents but I
> come to the following problem: all users use Windows 95/NT and the
> Micro$oft proxy server supports authentication by the "NT itself" (I
> think this is called NTLM authentication), without the need for and
> adicional user/password. Our Microsoft Evangelistas claim that it's
> best to have a Microsoft Proxy Server :( because of this feature

I believe if you use an OS with PAM capabilities (Linux or Solaris), you
can use a PAM module which will authenticate off an NT server. I've seen
one which authenticates off of a SMB/CIFS server (which NT will then check
against it's master user database).

One thing you may want to note, MS Proxy server is not a heirarchial proxy
system. It's more based on a mesh system.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com