Re: Squid vs. Netscape Proxy

From: Jamie Wilson <jamie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:33:24 +0100

At 01:05 PM 4/20/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>> First of all, the 3 servers will be distributed over
>> 3 cities linked with OC3 ATM connections. The RFP
>> has the following stipulations:
>
>> ?? - Integrated virus scanner
>> ?? - Provides extensive content filtering capabilities
>
>I think that to do the above you might have to either build things
>on or use one of the commercial squid-type-programs.

First of all, check that they're still selling the proxy server. I've heard
rumours that with the recent Netscape reshuffling, that one or two of the
more obscure server products has been dropped from their range (just had a
quick look at their web site, and I couldn't (immediately) find the proxy
server).

Also, if you are planning to use the authentication in the proxy, make sure
it has enough capacity to support the number of users you expect to have. I
believe that problems are encountered past a magical number.

Both of the above points are based on second-hand information, however, so
please don't take my word on it - speak to someone at Netscape.

...j
(Speaking for myself)