Re: how to find a good port?

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:47:03 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, Dancer wrote:

> Well, gosh. You have rather a lot to choose from. You can start from
> 1024, and go up to 65535, or thereabouts. Some people like 8080.

People generally pick 8080 for one of two reasons:

- it's a legacy port number (perhaps from something like CERN httpd run
  as a proxy server) and they can't bear trying to get all their users
  to change manually configured ports (that's me); or,

- other people are doing it, so why shouldn't they do it too?

> Cristian Diaconu wrote:
> > The default 3128 won't work 'cause it is an address already in use.

Is Squid already running on that machine? Is *anything* already running
on that machine using port 3128 or has the kernel just got itself stuck
for some reason (in which case the less experienced user is probably
better off just rebooting the machine)?

You may find that once you clear out whatever is already on port 3128
(assuming it shouldn't otherwise be there) that you'll be free to use it
with Squid.

Cheers..

dave