Re: Centralized Redirection Server ?

From: Stephen Baxter <steve@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:00:23 +1030 (CST)

You should have a look at the CSS :

http://www.senet.com.au/css/

The biggest thing stopping the progress of CSS is the manic pace of squid
development (that and the main developer being on holidays for 8 weeks !)

> I want to do some things with redirection in a cluster of caches that
> require keeping state information on clients. Traffic to the machines
> in the cluster is distributed by destination (web server) address, so
> all clients talk to all caches. Obviously, this makes keeping state
> information on clients difficult across all caches.
>
> What does anyone think about the idea of a "redirection server," which
> receives and answers redirection requests from Squid caches in a
> cluster via UDP transactions, vaguely like ICP works today. In fact,
> it looks like ICP itself would be workable with the addition of a new
> opcode or two. The transaction could look like a query/hit/miss type
> transaction, except the the server could return a different URL.

ICP is very workable in this role, we even have clusters of CSS servers
talking to each other - it makes for some interesting ideas ?
You have to be carefull though, there is a need to "distribute" access
lists to allow large clusters to work as well - CSS and the CSS hacked
squids have this ability built in and it seems to work sort of OK.

Development will be ramping up again soon, please contact Andrew who I
have cc'ed this message to in order to get involved.

> [...]
> cluster via UDP transactions, vaguely like ICP works today. In fact,
> it looks like ICP itself would be workable with the addition of a new
> opcode or two. The transaction could look like a query/hit/miss type
> transaction, except the the server could return a different URL.
>
> Dave
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 17:17:41 +0100 (CET)
> From: Nagy Attila <bra@insomnia.rulez.org>
> To: squid-users@ircache.net
> Subject: Parent proxy only without icp query?
>
> Hello,
>
> I've installed a squid 2.1(patch2) to a machine.
> This machine uses a parent in the following way:
>
> cache_peer cache.iif.hu parent 3128 3130
>
> If i set this, my squid always go direct, never asks my parent.
> I can do the following:
>
> cache_peer cache.iif.hu parent 3128 3130 no-query
>
> Then it uses the parent, but only that, and the fetched object not stored
> locally. Due to the limited bandwith (64kbps) it is very bad.
>
> My question is simple (for you, not me :):
> how can i do this:
> - store all files fetched direct or from the parent locally and if a
> request made for them, provide them to the clients from the disk
> - only go direct if the parent is dead
> - if the parent is up use that (but not the above proxy-only mode:(
>
> Is it possible that the parent does not capable to handle icp requests
> made by my proxy?
> If is it the problem, how can i test if a parent has that capabilities?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> ---
> Attila Nagy \ Phone: (361)-210-1415/194
> System Administrator \
> Kalman Kando Technical \ iRC: bra on iRCNET
> College Budapest, Hungary \ Info: 'finger bra@ns.insomnia.rulez.org'
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 11:03:23 -0500
> From: Brian Beuning <bbeuning@mindspring.com>
> To: Joachim <j.dostal@poboxes.com>
> CC: squid-users@ircache.net
> Subject: Re: Total reducing of cache misses after preloading accel-squid...
>
> As far as I know, squid does not directly support this.
>
> Why not just set up a local web server? Squid will
> treat it like any other web server and keep your local
> web server pages in cache (memory or disk) if they
> are accessed often enough.
>
> Brian Beuning
>
> Joachim wrote:
>
> > hi all !
> > i'm a squid-newbie AND
> > i want serve with the squid accel option a static number of files which
> > i want preload in the squid cache. after the preloading, the files will
> > never change (otherwise i will do this by hand). so i need help to set
> > my config to reduce the cache misses to zero for all requests. also i
> > will serve this files only from ram-cache and don't want to "swap" them
> > out to disk (i have enough ram).
> >
> > plz. help.

> End of squid-users-digest Digest V99 Issue #82

Stephen Baxter             SE Network Access/Big Networks Australia
phone : +61 8 8221 5221    222 Grote Street
fax   : +61 8 8221 5220    Adelaide 5000, Australia