Re: dns_children

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:53:47 +0100

pascal tscharner wrote:

> We saw too many pending dns requests and the proxy exits abnormally...
> The number of configured dns_children are already set to 32(the
> maximum).
> is there something else we can do?!?

Find out why DNS lookups are slow. Usually caused by an overloaded DNS
server. Other causes can be running nscd on Solaris, or using NIS to
lookup DNS names. The problem with both nscd and NIS is that these
services are single threaded, and thus it won't help how many
dns_children you configure Squid to use if all of them use the same
single pipe to resolve names.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker