Re: proxy a web feed

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:06:17 +0100

Roger Mangraviti wrote:

> we can not re-direct any requests (because they are not on our network).
> We only have the web traffic from the web servers that are returned
> through our network.

Why didn't you say so in the beginning? I (and most others it seem)
misunderstood you when you talked about clients and not being able to
have the clients configured to use the proxy.

> I do know it is possible, but what has me confused, is can you just
> replace the destination ip in the headers and pump it into squid? or are
> there other factors that require more hacking into squid?

If the traffic are TCP/IP based then you need some specialized TCP level
decoding software that collects the data stream and turns it into
separate HTTP replies again. You can't redirect the stream to a TCP/IP
stack and have it accepted like you do in transparent proxying.

Once you have the data collected, any of the push caching methods can be
used to get the data into a proxy.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker