Re: Squid and SSL

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:09:24 +0200

Hi

> I am trying to find out what encryption schemes are included ith Squid
> for its SSL support, and whether there is a way to add additional ones.
> I would appreciate any input! Thanks..

Squid doesn't actually do any encryption: it simply acts as a
tunnel between the client and the remote side.

Essentially the client uses a CONNECT request instead of a GET
request:

GET http://www.linux.org/ HTTP/1.1

Is replaced with:

CONNECT www.linux.org:443 HTTP/1.1

Squid then simply passes data through from the client to the server
without interpreting it (and without saving a copy.)

This can cause problems when people do this:

CONNECT shell-server.domain.example:23 HTTP/1.1

So the newer Squids only allow the port value to be reasonable values
(443 and 563)

Oskar