Re: Squid use/enhancement questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:57:35 +0200

Clifton Royston wrote:

> I've got a couple people who use the Squid proxy non-transparent from
> dial-up complaining that their first connection seems to take several
> seconds. Any reason known for this?

Probably only a DNS lookup of the site they are accessing. May also be a
MTU related problem, but probably not as those generally show themselves
when trying to download larger content.

> 2) Sharing transparent vs. non-transparent proxy cache data:
>
> Almost the first thing I realized, once I got it going, was that
> sharing the server between transparent and non-transparent use was not
> the win I thought.

You haven't read the FAQ I think (or perhaps the FAQ needs updating?)

httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
is REQUIRED for use of Squid as a TCP intercepting transparent proxy.

> 3) Boosting response speed:
>
> Am I correct in understanding that a Squid server should correctly
> "pass through" requests larger than its maximum object size to a parent
> cache server?

No. It will not cache objects larger than it's maximum object size.
Application level routing is not affected by this as the object size is
only known when receiving the reply.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker