Using Squid with a Satellite downlink

From: Ray Brighenti <bargi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 12:54:48 +1000

Hi all,

We are just about to get our Satellite downlink up and running but we are
still waiting on our AS number for the BGP routing so... our Satellite
provider says they can provide us with a subnet of theirs that we can use
for our Proxy server. They said we can give our Squid machine an IP alias
and get squid to use this IP for it's requests so that incoming data will
come via the satellite.

Is there any gotcha's with this sort of setup?

Also would it be possible to get Squid to request data from certain
IP's(say Australian/Local data) with it's current IP so it comes via our
current link and other IP's (Everywhere except Aus) to be requested via the
Satellite IP?

I guess in the end I'm asking,
- Can I run Squid with 2 IP's (pretty sure this is yes)
- Can I get Squid to send requests to a range of IP's using the first IP
and the rest via the second IP

Thanks

Ray