Re: FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:02:47 +0200

Flavio Pescuma wrote:

> In my case it even crashes without async_io, I think that my problems
> started when I compiled with --enable-poll I was told to do that to
> enable more than 1024 fds, and that worked

Maybe you are using one of my patches that attempts to allow a Squid
using poll to use more filedescriptors than FD_SETSIZE is set to. I have
later found that doing such a thing is not a good thing to do. There are
several places in the code which indirectly depends on FD_SETSIZE, and
using more filedescriptors will give strange errors or crashes.

Make sure __FD_SETSIZE is defined to at least the amount of
filedescriptors you'd like to support. It is set both in
/usr/include/bits/types.h and /usr/src/linux/include/linux/types.h. You
should then rebuild Squid and your Linux kernel (don't forget to make
clean). Rebuilding glibc is also recommended, especially if you use
async-io, or Squid 2.3 when it gets released.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker / QDTHKNM