Re: Using wwwgrab.proxy with squid 2.1 (solved)

From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:43:52 -0400

Two nights ago I posted a question about using the perl script
wwwgrab.proxy with squid. Basically, it wasn't working... the
connection between the script and the proxy was timing out.

Did more research yesterday and found the culprit. The line which
performs the GET looks like this:

        print S "GET $therequest\r\n";

After reading most of the RFC pertaining to this (can't recall the
number) I realized this is bad syntax. I changed this line to:

        print S "GET $therequest HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n";

And bing-bam-boom, it worked.

Interestingly, the msproxy server worked with the bad syntax. Not
surprising, MS never seems to play by anyone else's rules.

Today I received a response from Ian Redfern who elaborated. Turns out
that wwwgrab.proxy speaks HTTP/0.9. I guess I've updated it. He also
suggested using the GET function in libwww-perl, which I will look
into.

Just figured I'd post the answer I found in case anyone cared. Don't
know if there is a searchable archive... I only saw reference to the
FAQ in my searching of the Squid site.

cmh

--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com