Re: Web Mails

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:13:59 +0200

Ubaldo Lescano wrote:

> Recently I have had problems with some users because they complain which
> when they enter to webmails like latinmail, it excites or Netscape
> instead of appearing its account, appears to them another one, can that
> exists some relation with squid, in my rules single I have this:
>
> refresh_pattern -i gif$ 43200 100% 43200 reload-into-ims override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i jpg$ 43200 100% 43200 reload-into-ims override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i html$ 43200 100% 43200 reload-into-ims override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i htm$ 43200 100% 43200 reload-into-ims override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i cgi 1440 100% 1440
> refresh_pattern -i hotmail.com 60 100% 240 reload-into-ims override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i latinmail.com 60 100% 240 reload-into-ims override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i mixmail.com 60 100% 240 reload-into-ims override-lastmod
> refresh_pattern -i . 1440 100% 43200

I would defenitely not use that aggressive caching. It will cause a lot
of pages which is not intented to be shared to be cached as shared
pages.

> The idea of these rules was not to keep anything from this type of sites
> since it is not necessary.

????

The above rules makes Squid have much more aggressive caching than the
default.

> My questions are.... somebody has had these errors before? it is
> possible that it is cause of squid?

It may well be caused by the combination of your aggressive caching
rules, and probably combined with the fact that many of the application
developers not yet make use of "Cache-control: private" to mark pages
which is intended for a single user only.

I defenitely do not recommend using a min age in refresh patterns unless
you know what you are affecting. I am also not very fond of
reload-into-ims.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker