slow FTP transfers with Squid 2.2.STABLE4

From: Donovan Young <dyoung@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:41:32 -0400

Hello!

I've recently installed Squid-2.2.STABLE4 and am having a problem which I
didn't see covered in the FAQ anywhere -- I'm hoping someone here might have
some insight. First, here is the basics of my server configuration:

. Dual PIII 550 Mhz
. 9 Gig SCSI UW drive
. 512MB RAM
. RedHat Linux 6.0 (running kernel 2.2.10)
  - Configured as IP Masq gateway (using ipchains)
  - Running Squid 2.2.STABLE4
    = configured to use parent cache digests pa.us.ircache.net
      and pb.us.ircache.net

This is a dedicated Proxy server.

I'm really not sure which options out of squid.conf would be helpful so I
will respond to any requests for that information. I do, however, have
cache_mem set at "64 MB" and cache_dir is set to "/usr/spool/squid 4096 16
256" (I wasn't sure how to set these parameters for optimum use of
memory/disk -- help would be appreciated!)

Ok, my problem lies in the fact that when I connect to an FTP site from my
NT box running IE5 configured to use the above mentioned proxy, all FTP
transfers are extremely slow and most timeout after transferring a short
amount of data. I'm not seeing anything in any of the logs (squid or
ipchains) that would indicate a problem and when I reconfigure IE5 not to
use the proxy (use IP Masq instead), FTP transfers at a 'normal' rate.

I have not had the opportunity to test this on any other OS versions or
browsers at this point and was hoping this may be a 'known problem'. Any
thoughts or ideas on this? Thanks.

Donovan Young
Senior Unix Administrator
Suntory Water Group