Re: Direct as last resort

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:56:57 +0200

Simon Lindsay wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > You then need to use ICP and weight the siblings higher than the
> > parents, or disable ICP for the parents.
>
> I thought weights only worked for parents ?

Sorry, my fault. It only works for misses so it makes no sense on
siblings.

The current ICP implementation will stop the selection on the first ICP
HIT message received, so your only option is to disable ICP for the
parents and use "prefer_direct off" to get Squid to select a parent if
no ICP HIT messages are received from the siblings (also works on false
hits).

For parent selection you can use first-specified (the default), one
designated default-parent (default cache_peer option), round-robin
(round-robin cache_peer option), or domain based selection
(cache_peer_access).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker