Re: transparent Proxy

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 07:47:03 -1000 (HST)

Dorian McFarlane writes:
> I am attempting to get transparent proxy working a linux box. I am
> running Squid2.2STABLE4 on linux 2.2.5-15. If I set up my browser to
> use squid as a proxy, it works. But it does not work in transparent
> mode. I followed the steps listed in FAQ 17. I am not sure what else
> to do. It could be that there is a problem with ip forwarding, but I
> am not sure how to verify that it is working.

A useful trick to narrow down the problem is to configure your browser
to connect to a proxy on port 80 on your server. If that doesn't work,
it's either your ipchains or ipforwarding rules, or the proxy not
accepting them. If that works, then your network is not getting the
packets to the proxy - kernel problem or the switch/router-based
redirection not working. This was a big help to me debugging some
limitations on the L4 switch I used.

P.S. Your rules look wrong to me, but I don't use ipchains so they
might be right.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.