Re: simple Hardware question..

From: Scott Hess <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:58:37 -0700

I'd add a small third disk for the system. Probably 4GB, because you might
decide you want to keep long logs or something. Doesn't need to be a speed
demon at all - keeping up with logging functions is not a big stretch. You
just don't want to share the cache disks with the logging and OS
filesystems. Partition-wise, you might have the 4GB partitioned into a
small /, small /usr, and a big /var, and the 9GB partitioned each as one big
filesystem. Using RAID0 is probably a mistake, just use multiple cache
directories.

512MB should be fine under Linux or FreeBSD. My only suggestion would be to
try to leave dimm slots free so that if you ever need more, you can add it
easily.

Later,
scott