Re: Is it possible to cache this kind of dynamic page?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 02:26:32 +0100

Zhang, Jenny (jennyz) wrote:

> I can cache dynamic asp page with the URL like:
> http://mytest.com/test.asp?cmd=ResearchResult&Title=Health&customer_id=1
>
> Each costomer has a unique customer_id. Since the search results
> are the same regardless of the customer_id, I want to configure Squid
> to cache the page as long as there is 'cmd=ResearchResult&Title=Health'
> in the urlpath, and next time when another customer asks for the
> page, still get it from the cache instead of going to original server?
>
> Is it possible?

Yes.

Have the ASP file return proper Cache-Control headers, and NO no-cache
header. And do not use the recommended no_cache configuration blocking
caching of query URLs.

The basic caching algorithm in Squid does not care much about the URL,
only the response headers. The squid.conf directives no_cache and
refresh_pattern can be used to tune the caching algorithm based un URL
patterns.

However, Squid cannot cache pages marked as uncachable by the origin
server, irregardless of the URL format.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker