Re: squid runs but client does not receive data

From: Jinsong Zhao <zhaojs@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 21:51:09 -0800 (PST)

Dancer,

Thanks very much for your help. After I create the /etc/resolv.conf,
squid runs very well now. I'm not familiar with squid internal code,
but it seems squid does not rely on NIS, rather, it uses the lines in
resolv.conf to figure out the nameserver. Further, it seems squid
ignores the "search ..." line in the resolv.conf. Therefore, in the
company intranet, one cannot http://www/ instead of use
http://www.company.com. Therefore, my experience suggests two
improvements:

1. If resolv.conf does not exist, issue a fatal error message.
2. If "search ..." exists in resolv.conf, the complete name need to be
   formed before consulting nameserver.

Jinsong