Re: installing Squid

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:25:59 +1000

There is a better way to install squid on RH. Use RPM based installation
rather than the tarball style as this will avoid issues with compiling and
installing files. It's not "wrong" to install the way you were doing it,
there are just easier ways to do so.

Firstly, check if you have squid already installed. Type rpm -q
squid at a prompt. If you get a version number, you have squid already
installed. Your squid.conf is probably in /etc/squid/. You may wish to
upgrade it, and if you do read on anyway...

Failing that, go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/ and look for a squid RPM ending
in .i386.rpm in an RPM directory . Download the file and type rpm -ivh
<file-you-downloaded>. [Incidentally ftp.redhat.com is very congested at
the moment as Redhat 6.2 has just been released]

Reuben

PS: Take the time to learn how to use RPM. It's one of Redhat's best
features imho...

At Thursday 06:17 PM 30/03/2000 +0530, Sriram V (TSG) wrote:
>Hi,
>
> I am a new user to squid and i need to install and configure squid on RHL
>6.1.
>Though it says that Linux comes bundled with squid, i think i need to
>get some files from the net. I have downloaded some 2.0 and 2.2 release
>files.
>I untarred the file and i ran configure.
>After that if i give make, it is running the same set of files continuously.
>So i tried aborting the script and ran the same script again. The same
>problem appears for 2.0 and 2.2 release.
>
>Am i wrong in doing this or is there any other method of installing Squid..
>
>Thanks and Regards
>Sriram

Reuben Farrelly West Ryde, NSW 2114, Australia