[SQU] NetBIOS Name Problem ( urgent )

From: José Pedro Ribeiro <JRI@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:38:52 +0100

Hi! My name's Pedro and i'm from PORTUGAL.
I've set up a proxy server, running under RedHat 6.2, using Squid, and it's
working fine, but i wish to have the log files authenticated by user login.
I'm trying to use the smb_auth software and i've followed the steps
described to join the NT domain ( The PDC is an NT Server ) and have
successfully joined the domain, but i can't get a valid authentication.
Here's what i get when i try this:

> smb_auth -W NBPORTO -d

> cmj cmj2000
Domain name: NBPORTO
Pass-through authentication: no
Query address options:
Domain controller IP address: 192.168.7.203
Domain controler NETBIOS name:
ERR

I've followed all the steps described in the "Joining an NT Domain with
Samba 2.0" article, plus the ones on smb_auth from the author of the
program, and i can't understand why can't the NetBIOS name of the PDC be
recognized.
Also, if i try using nmblookup, i get successful answer for the machine
names, but get a warnig message, telling me this:
"Unkown parameter encountered: "domain controller"
Ignoring Unkown parameter "domain controller"
Also if i try nmblookup -d -i Gandalf ( proxy server name ), there' no
positive answer, but with this command, using other host names i get the IP
address associated to the name.

Can anyone help on this? I'm sure someone must have tried to do this.
Thanks in advance.

       Pedro Ribeiro

Pedro Ribeiro
Novabase Serviços Tel: 351.22.6079260
Rua Júlio Dinis, 204 - Sala 309 Fax: 351.22.6008200
4050 Porto

mailto:jri@mail.nbporto.novabase.pt