Re: [SQU] hit percentage

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:29:44 -0600

Whoah...talk about throwing out the cache with the bath water! ;-)

Yuri, try just rebuilding your swap.state's before you go deleting
everything.

To do this just delete the swap.state file on each cache_dir. Then
restart Squid. Squid will see that the swap.state's are gone and
rebuild them from scratch. It does this by 'looking' at every object in
the cache and adding a new entry for it. Your swap.state will be
accurate again, and all objects will be accounted for. (Note that the
Squid will be kept busy for anywhere from a few minutes to several hours
while rebuilding the state files, depending on size of the cache and the
load, and the speed of your disks. Squid will still answer queries but
will be somewhat more loaded during the rebuild...so do it during a low
load period if possible.)

Good luck.

Thomas Adam wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I have had a similar problem to yours, here is what I
> did to remove the cache...
>
> 1. Make sure that you stop squid
> 2. remove the squid cache folder completely
> 3. squid -z to recreate the cache
> 4. init 6 to reboot your machine
>
> and everything will be back to normal!!
>
> HTH,
>
> Thomas Adam
> re: thomas_adam16@yahoo.com
> --- Yuri Sytema <Yuri.S@arma.com> wrote: > hi,
>
>> Till last week, 25-30% of all traffic was cached by
>> squid, suddenly it
>> dropped to 15%.
>>
>> Is there any way to clear the cache?
>> We only have 120 users using the internet, wit only
>> 3 gb of traffic each
>> month.
>> At first the squid proxy was only an experiment, so
>> the machine spec's are
>> simpel..
>> (p3 450, 196 mb, 4 gb ide).
>> I'm ony using 500 mb for caching.
>> I tried the check_cache script, it will list all my
>> cache entry's as
>> orphans, and not delete them.
>>
>> Can i just stop squid, remove cache-dir, generate
>> cache dir's and start
>> squid? or is there an easy way which may preserve
>> some of the cached items?
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> Yuri
>>
>> --
>>

> =====
> Thomas Adam
> Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School
>
> e-mail (school): n6tadam@users.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk
> e-mail (yahoo) : thomas_adam16@yahoo.com

                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances