[squid-users] squid died. assertion failed error

From: Drenning Bruce <bdrenni@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:38:17 -0500

squid 2.2-STABLE5 running on linux RH 6.1 (2.2.16-3)

I've been running squid for months and months. I've never had problems with
it. However, this morning squid stopped and would not restart. I had to
reboot the whole PC. No changes to the PC since March 6 (updated glibc).

At the time squid quit, the cache.log shows the message "assertion failed:
string.c.42: sz < 65536"

Then it would not restart, because it could not "bind socket FD 39 to
*:3130". Indeed, even though squid was no longer running, netstat showed the
server still listening on the ICP port.

1. Any ideas why this happened "out of the blue" so to speak.

2. general linux question: I could have restarted squid if port 3130 wasn't
in use. Is there a way to somehow kill a port if the associated process is
no longer running?

TIA