[squid-users] starting squid

From: pat lendon <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:38:57 -0400

Hi all,

I need to upgrade Squid 2.3 STABLE 4 to Squid 2.4 STABLE 1. Last
night, I shutdown the old version and started the new Squid. I could
only start Squid as myself, not as user root. Normally, I start squid
as root and the processes are owned by Squid. I don't know why I could
only start squid as myself (not root) and then processes were owned by
myself. If I start Squid as root, it appears that Squid starts and then
immediately exits. I looked at the cache.log, but there was no errors
as to why Squid exited.

The cache_effective_user is squid.
The cache_effective_group is squid.

Today I noticed that the cache was all owned by myself (I must have
created cache while I was logged in as myself). I have since changed
the ownership and group of cache directories to squid:squid.

I can not test starting squid as root until later tonight.

Would the cache ownership cause this problem?
What else might cause this problem?

Thank you,

-pat