Re: [squid-users] Unable to open configuration file

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:41:19 +0100

Colin Campbell wrote:

> Where does it say that? I found one paragraph that says ...
>
> In Chapter 4 we go through the process of changing the user-id
> that Squid runs as, so that files Squid creates are owned by the
> squid user-id, and by the group squid. Binaries are owned by root,
> and config files are changeable by the squidadm group.
>
> So, yes, binaries or executables are owned by root, but config files
> should be owned by 'squid' and be writable by group 'squidadm'.

I strongly disagree here. config files should not be writable by squid,
only the cache and log directories should be writable (and owned) by
squid. See any UNIX sysadmin book on rules on how to design permission
schemes.

If your OS does not support saved user ID:s then "squid -k reconfigure"
may be unreliable. In such case, use "squid -k restart" instead.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid Developer
MARA Systems AB, Sweden