Re: [squid-users] cache hardware specification

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:58:19 -0500

wrote:
> > My box (single P2/450) with 6 9GB 7.2Krpm U2SCSI drives does 30
> > Gb/day, with the CPU constantly over 85% during peak hours.
> >
> > If this is the kind of load you're having, get an AthlonXP with 2-3
> > gigs of RAM, and lots of 10krpm spindles. I figure that with such a
> > configuration you could double my traffic, maybe triple it.
>
> Double certainly, tripling probably depends on traffic patterns. On
> our systems (PIII-1000, 1.5GB RAM, 7x18GB 10krpm U160 drives), I've
> pushed 10 million requests and 60GB per day through them at peak
> request rates of around 220/sec, though this was close to the limit. I
> suspect we might do a little better if most requests were not sent to a
> parent cache, and that our newer systems with faster CPU, 15krpm disk
> and more RAM could do a little better. I believe around 300
> requests/sec is about the fastest any single instance of a stable squid
> release has been pushed.

I notice that you (and the original poster) make no mention of network
interfaces. Are you using gigabit Ethernet or will a 100Mbps interface
do the job with this much traffic?

Also, how many SCSI controllers are you using for these 7 10kpm drives?
Assuming a STR of 52MB/sec (which is about what a Atlas 10K III gets on
the outer cylinders), it would only take 3 drives to saturate a UW160
interface. Even a UW320 controller would be inadequate to support the 7
drives you've mentioned.

Thanks.