Re: [squid-users] doubt about squid

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:55:03 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, sushant wrote:

> hi,
>
> i am facing a problem in squid since a long time , can you pls help me
> in getting out of it.
>
> i just wanted to cache a site.i have installed squid.but still if also i
> am accessing a site its not cacheing.
>
> can you tell me whats basic rule for a site to cache, or when a site is
> cached.
> OR
> what i think is if any site is going through the squid then it must be
> cahed i.e if i am accessing any site in my machine then its going
> through squid so it must be cached am i right ?

No. This question has been answered often and recently too. Squid must
obey the cacheability directives supplied by the server. If the server
says "do not cache this data" squid will not cache it. It still passes
through squid but won't get cached.

There is a website that checks cacheability of a URL. Try

        http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py

Colin

--
Colin Campbell