Re: [squid-users] NATting Squid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:01:16 +0100

On Thursday 21 February 2002 19:59, Mohsin Khan wrote:

> Well this thing has been practiced by one of my
> network enginer, in our office local lan behind a
> NATed box and it works just fine, as far as squid is
> not being used as accelerator, but i do not think that
> it will give any problem in later case, if wisely
> managed.

Correct. Squid does not care as long as the NAT is set up to do what
it should. It does not matter if Squid runs as a normal proxy or as a
reverse-proxy, it does not care in either mode.

Squid is an TCP application. As such it is very friendly to NAT, with
the minor exceptions that it may need support for FTP in the NAT
device if used as a normal proxy with manual browser configuration.

Cache peerings may need some extra attention in the NAT setup to have
the ICP port NAT:ed as well, but other than this there is not problem
with peerings either. The ICP version shipped in Squid is as NAT
friendly as an UDP based protocol can be.

There is some addon modifications to Squid ICP that isn't as nat
friendly, but if you run one of these you know it and NAT can still
be used in many configurations even then.

Regards
Henrik