Re: [squid-users] Using a parent squid proxy to make SSL connections from a local p roxy to Hotmail fails.

From: Squid Support (Henrik Nordstrom) <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:25:33 +0100

On Thursday 21 February 2002 17:32, Ward, John (GroupWare) wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am having trouble connecting to hotmail or any other ssl site for
> that matter via our squid cache which "parents" all connections to
> an upstream squid at the isp.
>
> the local squid is configured to talk to parent as follows:
>
> cache_peer <place upstream proxy here> parent 3128 3130 no-query
> default

Do you also have

never_direct allow all

If not, Squid will unconditionally try to bypass the upstream proxy
on SSL requests as these request can not ever be cached.

> currently, all the connections for https timeout and the "page
> cannot be displayed" message appears.

Seems you have not..

See the Squid FAQ entry on running Squid inside a firewall.

Also seems you are running Internet Explorer. To get meaningful error
message go into "Internet Options -> Advanced" and disable "Show
friendly error messages". By default IE thinks it is best to keep
the real error cause secret from the users...

> This message contains privileged and confidential information
> intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
>
> Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copy or other use of, or
> taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
> or entities other than the intended recipient, is prohibited.

What is the point of such restrictions on messages posted in public
forums?

> If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete
> the material from any computer.

Are you sure you want that every user who for all future who happens
to find this message by mistake to call you?

> The New Africa Capital Group, its subsidiaries or associates do not
> accept liability for any personal views expressed in this message.

This makes sense.

available on request