Re: [squid-users] (Fwd) Re: Spam, Block: Is there a SOCKS list?

From: Allen Smith <easmith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:53:59 -0500

On Feb 21, 8:41pm, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2002 15:22, Allen Smith wrote:
>
> > The only good news here is that implementors of mail servers (Sam?
> > Are you listening?) and NNTP news servers (and any/all other sorts
> > of servers that typically expect text lines as input) can easily
> > defeat this ploy by checking to see if the very first ``command''
> > that is received after the connection is established is either
> > `POST' or `PUT'.
>
> Well.. actually the HTTP specification says that mostly any method
> can have a request entity with a few exceptions. The HTTP/1.1
> specification is rather clear on this.
>
> Squid is a little anal in what requests it accept request entities
> on, for good and bad.

Good, I'd say, personally, since I really doubt the returns from request
entities other than those should be cached... going through a proxy on such
odd requests is not the best idea IMO. (This is, of course, also a problem
with transparent proxying...)

> What servers can reliably detect HTTP proxyied requests from is the
> HTTP signature. The first request line ends in [space]HTTP/x.y

Good point; thank you.

        -Allen

--
Allen Smith			http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
September 11, 2001		A Day That Shall Live In Infamy II