Re: [squid-users] cache_directory fills up

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:58:47 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Kushal Lala wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I have a problem in my squid proxy server. The cache directory fills up to
> 100% .
> Is there any way i can tell squid to reduce the size of the cache when it
> reaches 90 or 95% of used /var partition.

Squid already does this. See cache_swap_low and cache_swap_high in
squid.conf. There are a number of reasons why your disk fills:

a) There is a version of squid where there is a bug that causes the
symptoms you see.

b) Some filesystems fragment too much with lots of small files and so
can't create new ones.

c) Some/all(?) versions of squid will save a very large file to disk (eg a
CD image) even when it knows the object won't be cached. Again this can
fill the disk.

What version of squid are you using? What's your OS?

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster