Re: [squid-users] squid / swap usage.

From: Simon White <simon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:52:33 +0000

13-Mar-02 at 23:29, Joe Cooper (joe@swelltech.com) wrote :
> On our 2GB RAM boxes, I configure about 45GB total cache_dir or less.
> Much more than that can lead to performance degradation. If your box
> can handle more memory, you can probably make more use of your disks by
> upgrading RAM.

I would just like to add that in my experience, and following all the research
and testing that I have read, anything more than about 10Gb of cache_dir is
going to increase hit ratios by smaller and smaller amounts. The curve will
level off because your users common sites which are surfed are unlikely to
account for more than about a few Gb of actual cache store, unless you have an
inordinate amount of users.

Caches will give better performance with smaller cache_dir, plenty of memory,
and good disk I/O. Huge amounts of IDE is worse than smaller amounts of SCSI,
for example, and a decent SCSI controller will work wonders.

Just my 2 pence. (or Euro cents)

--
John Lennon:--v [Simon White. vim/mutt/Linux. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS: 39.56%]
Sometimes we sit and read other people's interpretations of our lyrics