RE: [squid-users] Re: ntlm won't prompt

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 13:56:41 +1000

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 13:18, Adam Aube wrote:
> >Digest, per se, doesn't require clear text password storage.
> >Squids supplied helper uses cleartext, but that is simply -a-
> >implementation. Squid itself never needs the cleartext password.
>
> Technically, yes - digest auth does not require the password to be
> stored in cleartext. However, as you pointed out, the Squid-supplied
> helper does, and I know of no other digest helper for Squid.

Well, there's a little project then :}. In point of fact, in 3.0 squid
can read pre-digested passwords in the supplied helper.

> Furthermore, since knowledge of the clear text password is needed
> to verify the digest sent, the password would need to be stored either
> in clear text or reversible encryption - unless I completely misunderstand
> how digest auth works (which is also quite possible).

You completely misunderstand how digest auth works. See RFC 2617 for the
spec..

> Digest could be improved upon by using a hash of the password instead
> of the password itself.

Digest -does- use a hash of the password. It' uses the MD5 of the
password, to be precise. (Thats Message Digest - thus the name)

Mozilla, IE, squid, apache, all use the MD5 - no cleartext passwords are
used for either verification or over the wire.

What is needed to verify the password is the HHA1 (see the spec), which
is MD5(user:realm:password) - possibly combined with one time nonces
from the client and the server (thats md5-sess, which we don't support
(yet)).

Once you have HHA1, then you can issue challenges and verify responses,
without knowledge of the password.

Rob