Re: [squid-users] winbind query

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:51:35 +0200

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 17.04, Tony Grace wrote:

> samba version is samba-3.0.0beta2-1

This version is not supported by the Squid provided helpers. See the
Squid-2.5 release notes for supported Samba versions with the Squid
helpers.

However on the bright side, Samba-3.0 will include it's own helper
which is fully compatible with Squid for both ntlm and basic
authentication (all current versions of Squid including development
versions are supported by the current Samba betas from what I am
told). This new Samba provided helper for Samba-3.0 will entirely
replace the older Squid provided Samba-2.2.X winbind helpers for
Samba-3.0 and later. I do not remember off my head the name of this
Samba program but it should not be too hard to find within the
Samba-3.0 beta distribution I think. Quite likely you already have it
installed as part of your Samba installation.

Eventually the Samba-2.2.X winbind helpers will be removed from the
Squid distribution when they no longer have any significant value,
entirely referring to the native winbind helper provided by the Samba
project. There is no plans on shipping Samba-3.X helpers with Squid.
Instead the Samba and Squid teams are working closely together in
ensuring continued winbind operation with both future versions of
Squid and Samba, and both projects agree that the most suitable
interface between the two projects is the Squid helper interface,
having Samba provide helpers which talk to their internal winbind
daemon and understanding the data format expected by Squid.

It should be noted that the same Samba-3.0 provided helper will
provide Samba authentication services for a number of other projects,
not only Squid. It is a form of a grand unified interface to Samba
authentication open for any project to use to their best
capabilities.

The Squid project is thankful to the Samba team for providing this new
stable interface to Samba in their future Samba version, and is proud
that this new Samba interface is at large triggered by the
requirement to have NTLM support for users of Squid. The issues of
Windows domains and NTLM authentication is much better understood by
the Samba team, and there is plenty of very good reasons why the two
projects should not try to duplicate each others work in this area
and instead focus on what each project does best.

Regards
Henrik