RE: [squid-users] Squid fails due to the DNS entry

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:24:17 -0400

Please don't create a new topic by replying to another message; send a
new message to the list.

> My squid has been failing intermittently.

> Anyway, my squid server uses the internet router as its
> default gateway. i configured the DNS to poing to my
> internal DNS for local name resolution.

> everything works fine since the internet gateway has globas
> DNS entries pointing to the ISPs DNS.

Ok.

> However for about 2 days now the name resolution just
> fails. i can't ping a website from squid during this
> period. i don't know what happens but everything
> just gets back to normal.

Probably a problem with your internal DNS.

> now i have replaced the internal DNSs with the global DNS
> on the router. everything works perfectly now.

Almost certainly a problem with your internal DNS.

> However i suspect i will have a problem with
> samba if i do not have the internal DNS conigured for
> on the squid server.

No; Samba generally will use either the IP Address or NetBIOS, not
DNS. This probably changes with Samba 3 in an Active Directory
environment.

Adam