Re: [squid-users] filter ssl traffic

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:10:40 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, zidan wrote:

> I am using squid 2.5. I would like all the rules that I configured in
> squid.conf (filtering, blocking sites,
> different modules, etc.) will also apply to SSL traffic.
>
> I want the SSL connection to terminate at the squid, so all the traffic
> will be inspected as regular HTTP traffic.

Not without servere limitations

- SSL will be broken, no longer supporting client side certificates or
user selected trust in server certificates.

- You will need a custom CA to be installed in each client browser, or
else they won't trust that the proxy is the SSL server they wanted to
contact.

- Squid needs to be extended to generate fake SSL certificates in response
to CONNECT requests. (this means coding)

- Browser must be configured to use the proxy, or else the proxy will not
be able to tell what web site to fake the server side certificate for.

Regards
Henrik