Re: [squid-users] RE: Some queries regarding Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:25:23 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Nimesh Shah wrote:

> Based on information I received earlier (attached below for
> multiple squid instances), how is the data
> replication achieved between two cache instances (the
> primary objective being fail-over)?

Normally you run the Squids in active-active mode having each others as
siblings. This will make the cache mostly duplicated in both instances.

> A little extension to my earlier query, can we configure
> a load-balancer or like in front of squid so that each squid
> instance is utilised effectively?

Yes. Or you can use proxy.pac to have the browsers do the load balancing.
My preference is using a TCP load balancer.

> If so how is this achieved in squid configuration?

Squid does not really care how it gets the traffic. It just processes what
gets sent to him.

Regards
Henrik