Re: [squid-users] FTP DELETE

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:06:01 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Farkas Levente wrote:

> if it's matter I vote for ftp:
> delete

Could be implemented in response to the HTTP DELETE method I suppose.

> mkdir

Already implemented if you PUT to ftp://server/dirname;type=d with a
length of 0. Could not find any better match in HTTP for creating
directories without implementing WebDAV which is a bit overkill and
does not map that easily to FTP...

Also done automatically on PUT of a file if the directory structure
where the file should be stored does not already exists.

> rmdir

As for delete of files this could be implemented in response to HTTP
DELETE method I suppose. Should probably require ;type=d to make sure the
user knows a directory is deleted.

> it'd be VERY useful. without it it's not realy a ftp gateway...

A patch for implementing gatewaying of HTTP DELETE -> FTP DELE/RMDIR
operations is welcome. The FTP code is relatively easy to grasp.. If the
patch is to the Squid-3 code then it very likely will be accepted into
Squid-3.1.

At the time the FTP code was originally written HTTP did not have a DELETE
method. And as there is very few clients even attempting to do anything
more fancy than a plain GET these aspects for the FTP gateway in Squid has
not received very much attention.

Regards
Henrik