Re: [squid-users] DNS problems?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 18:20:40 +0200 (CEST)

On 3 May 2004, Mike Rambo wrote:

> I'm seeing 'fqdncacheParse: No PTR record' in cache.log quite
> frequently.

Most likely harmless. These indicates Squid tried to resolve the DNS name
of an IP address but none was found.

Now there is three cases where Suqid does this

a) log_fqdn on

b) srcdomain acl types.

c) dstdomain acl type if user requested an IP address such as
http://1.2.3.4/

> The DNS section of cachemgr has the following and the squid
> process has just died. We've been seeing slowdowns and I wonder if this
> is all related.

The slowdown may be indirectly related in the way that these type of DNS
errors may be seen if you have clients infected by worms/viruses sending a
lot of random requests by IP address.

Check your access.log if you have very many TCP_MISS/000 or TCP_MISS/5xx
requests for urls using IP addresses. If you do you know what the problem
is.

Regards
Henrik