[squid-users] Re: Delay of initial response from server

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:08:53 -0400

Jim McCarty wrote:

> Hmm, I tried using the IP instead and I *do* get almost immediate
> Powerbook and I don't see this delay in initial response when I'm at home
> and not going through squid.
>
> Also, I can use lynx from the server (on which squid is running) and there
> is no delay in accessing any web sites using their fqdn.
>
> Is there some DNS setting I made in my initial setup while on cable that I
> need to change now that I'm using a different service?

Squid will normally use the DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf, but since lynx
from the server works fine, that's probably not the problem. You could try
reversing the order in /etc/resolv.conf - maybe the first entry is bad, and
lynx moves on sooner than Squid. You could also check the dns_nameservers
parameter in squid.conf, though that usually isn't set.

Adam