Re: [squid-users] Too many queued redirector requests

From: Hendrik Voigtlaender <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:48:36 +0200

Hi,

I just checked my logs:
We get 40...50req/sec for about 10 hours a day with nearly no traffic
during the night, this levels out to a daily average of 1000req/min.
Number of users are reported with about 1000...1500, but I guess that we
have never more than 150 clients connect at the same time.
We have 15 redirectors running, average redirector service time is not
measurable, servicetimes are good. In cachemgr.cgi you can check how
many request are handled by each redirector.
In our setup, more than 80% of the requests are handled by the first
one. The second gets about 10%, all the other are used only during peak
periods. Redirectors #15 is idle nearly the whole time.
In top only a a few (2...3) squidguards are showing enough activity to
be noticed, but not much. Machine is Intel 2,4GHz, 2x36GB SCSI
cache_dir, 2GB RAM, Linux debian woody, squid & squidguard out of distro.

I played around with the number of redirectors but never got rid of this
message (all busy, increase blabla). I think it is not critical if this
warning appears on and off, but not to often. 15 is IMHO more than
sufficient with this load.

What are you using squidguard for? If you try to block pr0n, you can as
well enable redirector bypass. The blacklist will never catch all sites
anyway, it doesnt matter if a couple of more request bypass squidguard.
This will eliminate the warning for sure.

How many redirectors are you using ? I would not install squidguard but
probably deativate it in squid.conf for testing.
I can imagine that too many redirectors are eating up the ressources
badly needed by squid, especially on a slow/small machine.
Can you post some specs?

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer